[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct advertising model

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 11 21:26:26 UTC 2007

On 08/11/2007 04:28 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 03:59:27PM -0400, William Munson wrote:
>
>> <rant>
>> Not likely to happen. Due to the commercial nature of the system
>> proposed and what I know of the devs they are not likely to want to code
>> it however if the company was do the leg work and write all the code it
>> could become an unofficial port of myth. Such is the nature of the
>> beast. :-)
>> </rant>
>>
> I don't think that's the issue.
>
> What's being discussed here changes the SD->Client relationship in a
> fashion (the advertising company would be paying their bill) that SD's
> contract with TMS may not permit.

Besides, open source code, mandatory advertisements...  Anyone seeing
any problems here?

OK, so the company may decide, "We'll just quit paying the SD bill if
the user doesn't request the ads."  So, some enterprising user(s) just
create another client (pulling the advertising code directly from the
"official" client) that pulls the ads on some other computer (and
doesn't even have to display them).  At this point, the advertising
company is paying people to use their bandwidth (and nothing more).

I'm not saying that people in the Myth community would "work" the system
like that, but I am trying to say that any advertiser who signs a
contract for such a system is a little too trusting.

Mike