[mythtv-users] TMS <-> SD deal makes LifeHacker.com

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:10:18 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 22:11 -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> > Goals are great...but $20/yr is only one possible future.  The reality today
> > is $60/yr.
> >
> > This is not a criticism - just an observation that the current price may be
> > a deterrent to many.  Consider the initial BLUE RAY dvd drives at $3000
> > each.  The price was high, and even "justified".  Sure the price came down
> > over time...but the initial pricing kept the mainstream out.  As for myth,
> > losing the mainstream Myth user (from EPG data) could have a serious
> > negative impact...
>
> I'm really trying not to be sarcastic here.
>
> I'm wondering: Exactly what part of "$15 / 3 months non-recurring" makes
> one compute "the reality today is $60/yr"?
>
> Personally, I read the "non-recurring" part to mean... well...
> non-recurring.
>
> If it had said, "$15 / 3 months recurring" I could see your point, but
> instead, you're misreading (or deliberately ignoring) what's listed on
> the site.
>
> If you have any questions as to the intent / pricing, please go to
> http://www.schedulesdirect.org for official statements.  Otherwise,
> misquoting and misstating would be a form of FUD that isn't
> constructive.  And we really try to be constructive here... honestly -
> we do.  For the most part...

Well, in a way, your both right (-;

"Non-recurring," I believe, just means that they won't charge again
unless you tell them to.  There are some web subscriptions (and likely
other things) that you charge $15 for 3 months and unless you
explicitly cancel, they automatically bill another $15 for another 3
months, forever.  SchedulesDirect will bill you $15 for 3 months and
unless you specifically renew, won't charge again (and cancel your
access, of course).

Their stated current rate is $15 for 3 months.  That makes their
current rate $60 a year.

They hope (not promise) to drop it to $20 a year.  If that happens
after the 1st period, that would make the 1st year $30 and all others
$20.