[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 10 18:28:19 UTC 2007

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> You have to figure out whether the "pirate" would purchase the
>> material if
>> he/she couldn't "steal" it. If the answer is no then any effort you
>> expend
>> trying to stop the "piracy" is totally wasted, and possibly
>> counter-productive.
>>
>> But the RIAA types would NEVER concede things like that.
>
> Right. There are people willing to pay for stuff they find value in,
> and others who aren't. You can't convince someone to pay for
> something they feel like they can just get for free.
> See the schedulesdirect thread for further information. ;)
>
> (Hey, look. I brought the thread back on MythTV topic, kinda)

    Conversely, people will pay for things they can get for free if
they think there is some bit of motivated self interest in it for
them or if they simply have an overdeveloped sense of ethics. Generally,
making yourself unsympathetic to the customer will undercut either of
these.

    I don't pirate but I do make good use of the first sale doctrine.
My disgust with the MPAA and RIAA mainly drives that.

    OTOH, I just yesterday bought the hardbound dead tree version of
Eric Flint's latest 1632 book. I generally don't buy hardcover books
but he's a very sympathetic fellow.

    Eric Flint is getting all of the MPAA's money. '-)