[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 10 16:30:33 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 10:03, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> >> From: Brian Wood
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how they are going to measure trhe piracy rates,
> >
> > Yea, that was the part that bothers me.  There simply isn't any way
> > they
> > could measure the affect.
> They're going to measure it in sales. If sales go up, less people are
> pirating. I know that's not true, but they will pretend it is. After
> all, increasing sales is the only thing that matters. "We had 500,000
> customers last quarter and 600,000 this quarter. 100,000 less people
> are pirating music." rather than saying, "We encouraged 100,000 more
> people to buy our music because we actually put out a good record."

I could argue that piracy is responsible for increased sales. People hear
a "pirated" track, decide they like it and go out and purchase a CD or iTunes

You have to figure out whether the "pirate" would purchase the material if
he/she couldn't "steal" it. If the answer is no then any effort you expend
trying to stop the "piracy" is totally wasted, and possibly

But the RIAA types would NEVER concede things like that.