[mythtv-users] Safe online CC Payments (Was Re: Supporting schedulesdirect.org)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 10 14:54:44 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 08:07, Ryan Steffes wrote:

> For people paying, there are several extremely safe options, one even
> works for someone with no credit card at all.
>
> The easiest method if you already have a major credit card, is to just
> check and see if your credit card offers "Safe Shopping" or "Virtual
> Card" numbers.  These are temporary numbers authorized for a limited
> amount of money and are offered by most major providers (CitiBank,
> MNBA, etc).  These limit potential damages to a set amount.  I
> personally use these numbers whenever I have to make any online
> transaction to any non-major corporation.  Many providers will allow
> you to designate a certain number and maximum size of transaction as
> well, so you could set up the card for a years worth of use, putting
> an expiration date as a year from now and marking the card for $60
> dollars in no more than 4 transactions.
>
> If you don't have a credit card, or your credit card does not offer
> those options, VISA will directly offer a multitude of options in the
> form of VISA gift cards.  If you don't have a card, they are offered
> at most major banks and even a lot of stores (Got a Wal*Mart near
> you?) for cash.  Just take $15 for the first three months, or $60 for
> the year to a bank and buy a prepaid VISA card, and use that with
> paypal.  No muss, no fuss.  If you have a credit card, you can even
> buy them online.  More information here:
> http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/index.html
>
> Basically, on the consumer side, there's no reason to be afraid of
> anything shopping online, it's just a matter of exercise the proper
> precautions to limit your liability.

I agree, but:

The pre-paid cards I have seen all seem to charge you for the priviledge of
having the card, even if you do not use it. Monthly fees accrue no matter
what, and your balance will eventually go to zero even if you do nothing.

There is risk in everything. I love it when somebody who would never use a CC
online seems to have no problem in handing one to a minimum-wager at a
restaurant who then disappears with it for 10 minutes.

Most CC theft is still low-tech, even in this modern world.
--
BEWW