[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct news posted to slashdot

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Fri Aug 10 13:18:30 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07 12:09 AM, "Billy Macdonald" <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:

> The news of schedules direct has been posted to slashdot.
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/10/0049249

Potentially this could be a good thing. The more people are aware of SD, the
more people are likely to check it out. The more people get interested, the
more people pay, the less it costs for everyone. At least in theory :)

The Slashdot crowd is usually of the "I want it all free" mindset, so there
are bound to be people who scream that $5 per month is too much (even though
that's only the "paid beta" rate). Well, the thing about OSS freaks (being
one myself) is that I guarantee they pay more than $5 a day in caffeinated
beverages. Hell, one Cappucino can 2/3 pay for a months SD listings. I'd
gladly give up one cappucino and one cup of coffee a month for that.

It's all a matter of perspective. The way I look at things is as follows: If
you want something for free, then don't expect it. If you expect service
you're going to pay. We in the Myth community got lucky the last few years
that we had Z2IL. Unfortunately, some people spoiled it for everyone else
and that sucks... But I'm quite happy to pay the going rate for the service
of SD listings because I already pay way more than that for services that I
use less.

Sorry about the rant... I'm also a frequenter of /. But sometimes the
attitude there drives me crazy. Between the OSS freaks and the Mac Fanbois
(hmm... I'm a Mac owner too...) sometimes the signal to noise ratio over on
that site is awful.

Gavin