[mythtv-users] Rigging Channel Lineup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 10 07:18:46 UTC 2007

On 08/10/2007 12:19 AM, Trey Thompson wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/09/2007 09:23 PM, Trey Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Can I "rig" my lineup since Time Warner changed their lineup and Zap
>>> doesn't have the channels?
>>>
>>> For example, even though the old lineup has Sci-Fi as 50, can I make
>>> it think Sci-Fi is 65?
>>>
>> Just change the frequency ID's to the proper channel number using
>> mythtv-setup or MythWeb's channel editor.
>>
> Thanks Mike!
> Do I change freqid, channum, or both?

Channum is yours to change as you like--you can make it any number you
want (i.e. when your stupid cable company puts Fox 35 on channel 3, you
can give it channel number 35, like it was meant to have).  The only
real "requirement" is that each different channel has a different
channel number.

The only purpose of a channel number is to allow you to specify which
channel to watch during LiveTV.  (That's why different channels should
have different channel numbers--so when you type in 35, you go to the
channel you want.  If you have multiple different channels with the same
number, and you type in that number, you'll go to the "first" one with
that number.  Then, once you're on that channel, typing in the channel
number again will do nothing (Myth knows its already on that channel, so
it doesn't change the channel).

Frequency ID tells Myth what frequency to tune for a particular
channel.  Values less than 10000 are considered channel numbers (though
values that don't exist in the specified frequency table will cause
errors).  Values greater than 10K are considered frequency in kHz.  So
this is the only one you have to change so that Myth will tune the
appropriate channel when it records.  (In the US, you should never
specify frequencies as all US frequency tables have already been defined
in Myth.)

Mike