[mythtv-users] 3-D UI for Myth, PNP installation, new LinuxMCE

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Aug 9 23:40:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 10:53 -0700, Paul Huber wrote:
> There's a full walk-through video in HD with a professional voice-over
> that starts with a clean PC and shows everything so there are no
> surprises, and you know exactly what you'll get.  You can get a quick
> low-res view on Google Video:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en or
> download it in high-def ogg theora & wmv formats on linuxmce.org.
> This new version of LinuxMCE is now integrated with MythTV, and a big
> improvement; the "yes it worked as expected" rate in our poll went
> from 23% for 1.0 to 86% for this one.

Cool, is this supported on more than nVidia cards now? It was written
to Xorg standards, but the Xorg people told me that it wouldn't be
supported in by Mesa based drivers until at least 7.1 or 7.2 and I
haven't followed Xorg closely in a while.*

* I should note that while I don't have any current relationship with
Pluto, I did help them initially get XComposite working with OpenGL.
This was only for a very limited set of system specs, Paul probably
had to do a some work to get this working on a general purpose machine.

> Lastly, in response to the earlier post that LinuxMCE was a repackage
> of Pluto, which was a repackage of Myth + Mister house.

Pluto's MythTV integration was always limited and it had/?has? very
non-standard startup scripts. I haven't actually tried LinuxMCE,
but from what I've read about it you should be commended for the
work you've done in to get the Pluto components running on a more
or less standard linux system.

> Pluto has no connection to Misterhouse, and afaik they never even used
> MythTV since they had a commercially licensed PVR.

AFAIK They did use some parts of MythTV early on (in a GPL compliant
fashion), but their design philosophy is closer to freevo, and they
licensed a commercial PVR for their commercial product.

> Bottom line…  I'm trying to build bridges.  MythTV is a critical and
> central component of LinuxMCE, and I think LinuxMCE adds a lot of
> value to MythTV, and we'd both be better off if there was better
> communication and collaboration.  So, I'd encourage Myth's users to
> check out the new video and comment if they think this is on the right
> track and adds value to Myth and would like to see more integration
> with Myth or not, and I'll watch the thread.

Paul just drop me a note whenever you have a question. I downloaded
the CD and plan to try LinuxMCE sometime, I've just been really busy.

-- Daniel