[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct Announces Initial Pricing

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Thu Aug 9 19:23:52 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07 1:46 PM, "Axel Thimm" <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
> In *theory* you can pick the latest *.src.rpm and rebuild it on
> FC3. If you are missing some build dependencies, you can pick their
> *.src.rpm and do the same.
>
> In *practice* ATrpms having marked FC3 as EOL'd means that there is no
> support for any issues you may run into while rebuilding, running
> etc.

Yeah... Gone down that road a little bit and the dependencies kill me every
time! There's always one. My most recent attempts resulted in a dependency
on an OLDER version of a few libraries, and so much else depended on the
current version of said libraries I just threw up my hands and said "To hell
with it!" :)

> How about upgrading to RHEL5 or some clone that will EOL in 5-7 years?
> Or you could do small steps and upgrade to RHEL4, which is very close
> to FC3 and is still supported. Hell, you could probably simply run
> RHEL4's rpms on FC3 (but if the latter doesn't work, you're still on
> your own ;)
>
> As clones to RHEL4/5 I recommend CentOS or Scientific Linux, both are
> excellent bases for a long-lived mythtv box.

As I said in another message, I might just switch to Gentoo on my next
build. I'll probably trash that FC3 installation because there's just too
much crap in there for my tastes and it takes forever to boot compared to my
other Gentoo boxes at home. Hell, my wifes XP laptop boots faster... That's
sad! OK, so I almost never reboot it, but that's not the point :D

Nah... Dropping FC3 is good for you. You need to be able to have a
reasonably solid base in order to maintain all those packages. I think that
given the age of FC3 you did the right thing. I'll probably switch to Gentoo
like I said and start running SVN; the emerge packages just don't upgrade
quickly enough for me :)

Gavin