[mythtv-users] upgraded to fedora 7, now firewire is broken

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:28:23 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:
> Gabe Rubin wrote:
> > On 8/9/07, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Fedora 7 has a brand new firewire stack the old modules are not built by
> >> default. I had to manually compile them which was sort of a pain. Here's
> >> a thread that may be helpful.
> >> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=157524
> >>

> Unless you can coerce Axel into enabling those modules and rebuilding
> the kernel, then putting it up on ATrpms. But I'm guessing he has plenty
> on his plate already.

Pretty please Axel????  I totally understand if he/you don't have time
to do it though.  I am also guessing Axel does not need firewire as
much as those of us privileged enough to be able to use firewire as a
capture device, so I will attempt to do it as described on the thread.

> Check out post #40 on the above mentioned thread. That guy says it will
> only take 5 minutes to do. I'm going to have to redo all of this here
> soon because I'm still running 2.6.21-3228. I've been hesitating to
> upgrade to 2.6.22 just because its all working now and I'm going to have
> to manually rebuild those when I do upgrade.

I saw that, and saw the 5 minutes.  I started the process and left for
the day while it was compiling something.  When I get home, if all is
right, I will be pleasantly surprised and happy.  I am guessing
something will go screwy though, but who knows?  My bigger concern is
having to redo this process each time the kernel upgrades.  I will
also be hesitant in upgrading the kernel.  I am just surprised I did
not see any mention of this on the list prior, esp with people
swapping stories on the fedora 7 upgrade.