[mythtv-users] Heads up Aussies - EPG supply in Australia

David Segall david at segall.net
Thu Aug 9 14:47:24 UTC 2007

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> All the Aussies on the list...
>
> I just heard on the news that Channel Nine's court case against IceTV
> over the supply of (copyright) EPG information has finished today.
> Channel 9 has lost the case (yet I am sure they will appeal)
I doubt if they will appeal. I think the result was anticipated, hence
this announcement a month ago
<http://www.freetv.com.au/media/News-Media_Release/2007-0174_MED_FREE_TV_NETWORKS_USHER_IN_NEW_ERA_OF_DIGITAL_TV_040707.pdf>
> basically
> opening the way for us poor souls downunder to "legally" get our program
> info.
 > Time will tell where this goes but this can only be good news for us.
There is nothing illegal about the way we get our guide. It comes from
public web sites. We are definitely not "poor souls" because we have
Shepherd <http://svn.whuffy.com/wiki>. MythTV users expect the computer
to optimize their TV viewing and Shepherd does that for the program
guide. It uses the computer to produce a program guide from the best
available data on the Internet. It ensures that we always have guide
data even if one web site changes the format and it adds details like
which programs on HDTV channels are really HDTV and extra information
from IMDB and TVDB. It is likely that MythTV users could negotiate to
pay for a guide from FreeTV but why would we want to do that?