[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Aug 9 05:14:02 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the input about favorite distros.  For you Gentoo guys, I
think I'll pass.  I'd like to actually watch some recordings once in a
while.... (just kidding).  Sounds tempting to always be able to build my
own version of everything.  But I think I'll leave the bulk of building
to those who know what they're doing and save my building for things I
HAVE to customize for some reason.

Isn't Ubuntu a Debian-derivative?  I'm thinking I'll try Ubuntu again.
Lack of a root user made me a bit skeptical at first, but I found I
could easily create one and was happy again.  I think its Debian roots
give it a strong foundation and it seemed to have a bigger pre-built
base of apps.

Interesting the no one mentioned SUSE.  Something about a "deal with the
devil" maybe?

FC 5 has been doing pretty well, I must say.  When I first installed
FC6, it wouldn't even boot.  Took a long time before I could get it to
even run the updates.  After struggling for a while I gave up.  I'm
wondering if FC7 is better.

My system is primarily Myth; frontend and backend combined.  But it is
our media center.  It's connected to our TV (37" LCD 1080p) and I have a
monitor where I work while "watching" TV (my wife watches TV while I
work).  I play MP3's, burn DVD's and CD's, browse, code, explore with
GoogleEarth, you name it.  But it has developed some problem of late:
analog recording on my PVR-500 causes system reboot.  Put's a damper on
watching recordings when they're broken into chunks with holes where the
reboot took place.  I don't know if power supply is the problem or the
PVR-500 or the MB.  Since the Athlon 64 3200+ with AGP was a little
marginal for high def, I went for it and ordered a new dual core MB with
onboard video and processor, RAM and a PCIE video card.  This will give
me true dual seat so I can really work while my wife watches recordings
and not have to compromise (I hope!).  Hopefully Ubuntu will find
everything and install without issues (yea, right!).

Wish me luck!

DaveD