Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Aug 9 02:22:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:19:41PM -0700, Jon Boehm wrote:
> Tivo's are expandable, at least my series 2 was.  Its not super easy but
> then again its not really hard either.  There are well published
> utilities that require removing the drive from the tivo and putting them
> in a PC to add more drives and expand the data volume.

	A Tivo is expandable like a Mac Plus was. It's possible if you want
to force it. However, it wasn't intended to be done.

	Thus the requirement to "prepare" the disk before putting it into
a Tivo and doing a full backup of your present configuration. There's a
question regarding whether or not some are upgradeable at all. Even for
those that are you are highly limited: 1 or 2 internal IDE drives.

	There's a very good reason that weaknees can manage to put a 100%
markup on their ready made Tivo upgrade drives.

	Wanna hack with hardware? Wanna hack with Linux commandline utilities?

	Why not just go all the way?

	I have an S1 with a weaknees drive in it and a lifetime subscription sitting
and collecting dust on the shelf in front of me not 6 feet away from me right now.