[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Aug 8 23:37:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 07:57 -0300, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> > actions.  You made it pretty clear indicating that broken Dish Network
> > EIT was intentional on Greg's part when he found illegal use.  You
>
>  Oh for christs sake.  There is no Anti-EIT conspiracy here. There is no
> intentional breakage of any EIT source despite the theories of some
> guys on some webforum might think. I had a need for the data, spent the
> time to figure it out and wrote some code to support dishnets
> implementation of it. Others have been maintaining all things EIT
> in myth since then and have done an amazing amount of work on the subject.
> To my knowledge though, none of them are in the US nor getting signal
> from Dishnet so are not in a possible to really know if something has recently
> broken relating to dishnet.  The uncle I wrote the code for has moved
> and now gets all of his stuff via cable and ATSC so I can't even
> use that machine to test it.
>
>  A quick look at the ticket system doesn't show any tickets reporting
> this apparent breakage nor any patches that people are using to fix the
> problem. If someone wants this fixed they are going to have to report the
> problem (in the ticket system) and preferrably send along a patch since
> I believe none of the devs has a setup to diagnose and fix it themselves.

Greg, I have DishNet now, and have a PCI card which could get receive
the EIT assuming it's still in the clear. I'll look at this once my
schedule clears up a bit. Robert Current might not know, but I wrote
much of the EIT parsing code for ATSC in MythTV. The major problem
with the DishNet EIT is that it is very limited, they license only
a few days of data from TMS and they only distribute a small portion
of it over EIT. You won't be able to do things like record every movie
with Drew Barrymore in it with their EIT data. And, of course you can
not redistribute the data without violating the subscription agreement.
They may have more than 3 days now, because they support Dish Net DVRs.
But then again the additional data may be encrypted or just not enough
data for MythTV to schedule on.

I think all I need before looking at DishNet EIT is a Circularly
Polarized LNB. I only use my big motorized dish for FTA so I just
have a plain jane Linear LNB, and I don't want to mess with my
DishNet dishes.

-- Daniel