[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:55:24 UTC 2007

>From: "D. Moonfire"
>
>The only reason I would go against Gentoo is a situation I had where I was
>perfectly happy with the machine and didn't touch it for six months or so.
>I was
>unable to update the box after that because enough things changed that the
>only
>suggestions #gentoo could give me was "reinstall".
>
>Now, in my household, my wife specifically told me not to play with the box
>unless it was broken, so worry about being unable to update in 3, 6, 12
>months
>later because of emerge/portage changes or something else makes it not
>really
>viable.
>
>In my case, I used the debian-multimedia repository and got everything up
>and
>running in about three hours, including the Debian install. But, as someone
>else
>mentioned, I went with the distribution I knew.
>
>Cheers!

When you say you couldn't update, do you mean that installing updates would
take longer than reinstalling?  My experience with Gentoo has pretty much
been install once, update forever...which it quite the opposite experience
I've had with binary distros (though I have no experience with newer ones
like ubuntu etc).  There are however rare occurances, such as the upgrade
from gcc 3 to 4, which required recompiling the system, but those are more
than rare.

I can understand why some take the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach
with their mythtv systems.  However if you take that approach I think that,
when you decide you do in fact want to update to the latest version of
MythTV, mplayer, xine, or whatever you're just as likely to run into binary
dependency issues with binary distros.

Tom