Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 21:17:45 UTC 2007

Robin Smith wrote:

> I am somewhat incredulous at the number of ungrateful people bitching
> about the various details of this tumultuous change to MythTV.

I think you mistake valid questions and concerns as "bitching".

(...from earlier in the post...)
 > But ultimately, if I am not prepared to get off my ass and
 > be a part of the solution, I have no right to bitch about what the
 > solution is.

And so no one should ever provide feedback or suggestions, for fear it
will be called "bitching"?  How many features of MythTV would not exist
if no one had said "this doesn't work well" or "wouldn't it be nice if"?
    Even if the people who made those comments never contributed a line
of code, did they not provide a spark of inspiration for those who did?
  Is this not useful?

That's what always gets me about these debates.  Someone asks a valid
question (as in: "Is there any way to legally get guide data without
paying a monthly fee?" or "Is there another source for guide data that
doesn't require a PayPal account?") and everyone assumes that person is
calling all of the developers minions of Satan, is completely
ungrateful, and is in general a bad person, and that if they want
something new or different they should get off their lazy butt and code
it themselves (see quote above).  I don't understand the hostility to a
simple question, other than it must somehow disturb the status quo if
anyone even suggests something different.

Jeff.