[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

mythmail at gmail.com mythmail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 20:44:08 UTC 2007

I'm going to have to second Gentoo.  I had two frontend/backend
systems running on Fedora (4 I think, maybe 5).  They were relatively
solid but I had a few assorted problems with the rpms/repos and
eventually there just weren't any updates available, also, you end up
installing lots of stuff that has nothing to do with MythTV.  Then I
decided to take a leap of faith and try Gentoo.
There definitely was a learning curve going from Fedora to Gentoo, but
there's tons of excellent documentation on setting up MythTV on
Gentoo.  When you're done you have a lean mean MythTV without any
extra cruft that you pretty much never have to touch, except maybe
"emerge -uD mythtv" if you want to update.  Also, after going through
all that, I feel like I understand better what's going on under the
GNU/Linux hood.
That said, I also have a backend running on my Ubuntu 7.04 desktop,
which was really easy to set up.  Ubuntu has ivtv included now, so it
set up the capture cards without any effort.  I imagine setting up a
combined frontend/backend wouldn't be too bad, although way back when
I had trouble getting lirc working on ubuntu.