Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 8 19:23:36 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 13:15, Robert Current wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > Well, what I really wanted to do was track credit card numbers, but that
> > would require dealing directly with credit card numbers (bad on so many
> > levels).
> >
> > But there are other options like tracking email addresses, domains, ip
> > addresses, etc.  There was plenty of discussion on this topic before SD
> > announced that we exist.
>
> It's not the money or fee part that bothers me.  It's the "hey let's
> throw something together in a couple months" concept of doing
> something.  While, it seemed clear what they are trying is the exact
> same thing a commercial provider has already tried, and had to close
> its doors.

They did not "close their doors", they decided to stop doing something that
sucked up resources and provided no revenue, perfectly logical under the
circumstances.

Since the new folks have very different goals, it's likely they will not have
the goal-oriented problems TMS did.

Finally, as far as "throwing together in a couple months", would you prefer
they took a couple of years to get things going?

--
BEWW