Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 8 18:24:42 UTC 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Robert Current wrote:

> On 8/8/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
>>
>> Zap2it Labs went away because TMS decided that it was too much
>> effort to
>> police it for fraud.  Just about everyone we've worked with at TMS
>> and
>> Labs said that they felt bad about the free service going away.
>>

> What fraud?  Was the data used for something other than MythTV PVR's
> like originally intended?  Was someone trying to re-sell the data?
>
> This is the first I heard of "fraud" talking about listing data.  I
> heard "abuse" before, and assumed that meant people were pulling data
> hourly on a cron job or something, taxing the server to hard...   But
> what was the fraud?  And how is the schedulesdirect.org project going
> to stop this fraud issue?

Check the archives and the original thousand or so messages talking
about why TMS decided to stop the free direct to consumer feeds. Or
you can just read the open letter on the labs.zap2it.com site.

"In October of 2004 we posted here an open letter saying the future
of Zap2it Labs was at risk because of certain growing misuses of the
Zap2it Labs data. Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown.
These misuses, combined with other business factors have led to the
decision to discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007."

While they don't use the term "fraud", they do say it's due to
"misuse" which I can only imagine means violating their terms of
service which in essence is a sort of fraudulent behavior.