Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Aug 8 16:38:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
"Kai Holthaus" <kmh at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:20:51 -0400 Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The thing that bugs me the most is that the listing data
> > should be free to the non commercial end users.
> > It's in the best interest of the TV stations
> > to let you know what is on, when it's on..etc.
> > The problem is that TMS wants to treat end users
> > the same way they treat commercial entities
> > that make money from the listings.
>
> The thing that bugs you is based on a fundamental misunderstanding.
>
> The *data* IS free. Nobody makes you pay for going to ABC's, NBC's,
> BBC's, and whoever else's website and get the information on what's
> on, when it's on, and why you should watch it. You can get the data
> as an add-on to your daily newspaper (making it somewhat free,
> assuming that one buy's the newspaper for other reasons beside
> getting the daily TV schedule). However, NBC has no interest in
> providing you with information what's on ABC, and therefore you will
> not get all the information in one place.
>
> This is where TMS comes in. They provide a *service*. The service is
> to collect the data and provide it to you in a neat package, easy to
> use. It's the electronic version of a magazine that does nothing more
> than show you what's on during the next week or so.

There are plenty of free places to get the information all in one place.  TVGuide.com, some others that have been mentioned here.

I think you're missing the point by assuming there's anything on TV that I want to watch bad enough to pay for listing services.  There is not.  If these broadcasters want my eyes on their shows, I'm not paying for it.  Simple as that. I'll miss the data only for the simplicity of recording the couple of shows that we watch on occasion.  Manually scheduling them will cost me nothing.

I'm sure I'm not the typical MythTV user...