[mythtv-users] Minor questions on interface options, remote/key bindings, and flow

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 8 16:32:36 UTC 2007

On 08/08/2007 10:59 AM, D. Moonfire wrote:
> Rather new to MythTV, being that my setup is only a few weeks old. I got
> everything working beautifully (including the dual satellite setup and a
> separate BE/FE arrangement), but I had a few questions that I would *love*
> pointers to how to figure them out.
>
> 1. I'm somewhat confused on how to change keys from the remote. Mainly, I want
> the EPG use use the Enter key (bound to my remote's select) for what is now the
> "M" key and bind the record options (what is default Enter) to the "R" button
> (since it is basically setting up record options). I want to keep the menu and
> record buttons normal while watching TV.

MythControls.  I think it's at Utilities/Setup|Edit Keys.  You can also
use MythWeb's key bindings editor.

> 2. Is there a way of going directly to the EPG from watching LiveTV? Ideally
> something I could bind to the Guide button on my remote.

Jump points.  Configure as above.

> 3. I can't seem to figure out how to stop watching a recording, jump to the menu
> to add a few new things to the schedule, then return back to the recording where
> I stopped. Is there a set of keys I have to do for this?

Either mark the position (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 ) or set Myth to
automatically mark the position on exit or to prompt for action on
exit.  In frontend settings, under TV Settings, Playback, General
playback, (part 2):

Action on playback exit
 - Just exit
 - Save position and exit
 - Always prompt (excluding Live TV)
 - Always prompt (including Live TV)
 - Prompt for Live TV only
If set to prompt, a menu will be displayed when you exit playback mode.
The options available will allow you to save your position, delete the
recording, or continue watching.

> 4. Is there a setting for getting audible feedback while pressing buttons? So,
> you can hear sounds when you change options, hit the chan+/chan- buttons, etc.

Not really.  There's a setting that runs a script on every keypress, but
there's enough latency it doesn't really work for this.

> 5. I have *no* clue why I can't get my number keys to work. :) In the lircrc
> file, it is just "1", right?

Yep.  However, those keys are used for different things in different
places (i.e. 1 will bring up the icon help in Watch Recordings), so they
may be working and you may just not be noticing.

Mike