[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:19:19 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> The great thing about credit cards is, even if someone *does* steal
> the number and max it out, you're not responsible for the fraudulent
> charges.  I had someone steal my AmEx card number, once.  Here is the
> complete drama as it unfolded:
>
> *cell phone rings*
> Person on the other end: "Hi, I'm Bob from American Express.  I'm
> calling about your card ending in xxxx.  We have some charges we want
> you to verify."
> Me: "OK."
> Them: "We show a $50 charge to (charity I've never heard of) and a
> $100 purchase at (online business I've never heard of.)  Did you make
> those transactions?"
> Me: "Doesn't sound like me."
> Them: "OK, we'll reverse them and send you a card with a new number.
> Your existing card will be invalid in a few minutes."
>
> That was it.  I had the new card in a couple of days.

That's very similar to my experience. A few weeks ago I got a call
from Visa because they suspected my card had been cloned. They started
off with, "were you in Korea today?" and then went through a list of
purchases which I clearly hadn't made. Luckily, all of the attempted
charges were above the limit on my card, so they were declined anyway.

The funny thing is I got the message to call them literally minutes
after I had paid off the existing balance on my card, since it was
getting close to full (with legitimate purchases).

They told me the new card would take five to seven business days to
arrive. I think I had it in my hands within two days.

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent