[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 06:01:03 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:

> I am struggling to see what code is needed. Myth can, at present, use ANY
> data in xmltv format. Seriously, u just download the data from ANY source
> that is set up, run mythfilldatabase and there you are. No coding needed,
> except a 3 line script into cron, something like:
>
> wget -quiet http://my.fee.com/data.xml.gz
> gunzip -f data.xml
> mythfilldatabase  --file -1 cardnumber data.xml
>
> There is no risk that myth needs updating, or that you are restricted to
> one provider. No-one has suggested that myth will abandon support for
> xmltv data, and so long as it is supported you are free to choose any
> provider you like and not change your mythtv codebase at all.

SaaaWeeet...

That means, we have:

A) at worst, a cron script to import data.

B) somewhere there was OSS code for "scrapers" to pull data from
online listings.

C) maybe "personal account" potential from places like TitanTV.

So, that means there are ate least two theoretical options:

1) Old school scraping script to a datafile, cron job to import data.

2) New "I'm a XYZ DVR" script to grab TitanTV data for (presumably)
legal users who bought hardware from companies that partnered with
TitanTV.

This ain't a solution, but at least it might outline where a solution
would start.  Now, if anyone knows the URL for a scraper project (and
they have a donate link or some list of simple tasks they could use
help with), OR, if anyone is gung-ho enough to tackle a TitanTV mock
"I'm a MicrosoftMediaCenterPC w/ Genuine hardware" grabber, just speak
up and I'm sure there are more than just me willing to do some PR,
donations, and support help for it....

At least now I have some dots to connect.