[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 8 06:00:51 UTC 2007

On 08/08/2007 12:59 AM, Robert Current wrote:
> On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 7, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Robert Current wrote:
>>
>>> (EIT taboo subjects).
>>>
>> Eh?  Why do you say EIT is taboo?  I've heard it discussed here
>> several times, but from what I understand the EIT data provided by
>> U.S. broadcasters is extremely limited, making it not very useful.
>>
>> Heck, it's even supported already:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/EIT
>>
>> I'm not sure where these rumors about taboo subjects and people
>> getting booted off the list for talking about alternative scheduling
>> sources come from.
>>
> Ok, well, I'll say it then and see what happens.
>
> Over on http://dvbn.happysat.org forums, there seem to be a lot of
> people (that I haven't seen on this list) who have EIT working for
> BEV, but can't get EIT working for Dish Network.  That includes people
> using trunk and fixes (new versions), and includes posts I've seen in
> the last 7 days (recently).

a) EIT is /not/ the same as illegally accessing encrypted content.

b) Discussion of EIT is perfectly fine.

c) Discussion of illegally accessing encrypted content is forbidden.

> So, legal or not, I'd guess that's not a solution (yet).  But one
> willing to break the law and grab data out of the air would might be
> able to do it for a $40 PCI card, and $40 used dish, and get all the
> channels they want,

No.  Only the couple of free-to-air (=unencrypted) channels on the DISH
satellites, unless the user subscribes to DISH network and buys/rents an
STB for each analog capture card he wishes to use with the DISH network
source.

>  and all the guide data they want,

Actually, as I remember it, DISH has far less guide data than TMS did
(only about 2-3 days, IIRC).  Also, the DISH guide data is only useful
for those who subscribe to DISH.

>  free, with
> slightly flaky listing data, that "might" be stable soon.

It's perfectly stable if you're not doing illegal things...  If it
becomes stable for the illegal things, I hope DISH tells us so we can
break the illegal stuff.

Mike