Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:04:31 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>         The lack of HMO features in the DTivos is one of the big reasons
> I built my MythTV setup. I had gotten used to those features with my
> generic S2 Tivo and found "downgrading" with DirecTV to be a real buzz kill.

Exactly...   There are a couple of camps of thought here, and I'm in a
few of them.

On the one hand, I LOVED my TiVo, and reluctantly went to MythTV.  I
built a MythTV box out of curiosity, for kicks, I always liked playing
"system admin" in Linux.  But it never matched the slick interface,
ease of use for my family, and elegance of my TiVo.  Every detail
polished, even the remote, I've never seen a more comfortable or
natural piece of hardware.

But in time, MythTV became functional enough, so I figured there was
no point in paying the extra $6/month anymore.  I have both, and if it
came down to $$, I'll be very happy switching back to simple life with
TiVo.

On the other hand, I have a number of friends who didn't have the cash
for a TiVo.  I spent considerable time converting old, second-hand PCs
into MythTV systems for them.  If I walk away from MythTV, they will
be SOL.  One once said, "if I had to choose between a bigger TV, or a
smaller TV than I have just to keep the recorder, I'll go with a
smaller TV."

Then, on the third hand, you have people like Michael T. Dean up
there, who are happy to do the admin issues, pay lots of money, and
put up with all the hassle.

So, the question is, what are most MythTV users?  In my life, most are
of that Second Hand type...  Which makes me sort of sad during this
recent debate.