Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Aug 8 02:46:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 19:39 -0700, Robert Current wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > Well, the reason I run GNU/Linux systems and MythTV is because they work
> > better than any other solution I've found (including Windows/Windows
> > MCE).  But--completely discounting hardware cost--they're significantly
> > more expensive than Windows/Windows MCE (because of the time I've put
> > into making them work better).  And, when only non-time costs (i.e.
> > hardware and subscription costs) are compared to a TiVo (all of which
> > generally have very low hardware costs), my Myth boxes are egregiously
> > expensive.
>
> Keep in mind, TiVo is a Linux based system.  It is commercial, and
> hired lots of former OSS programmers, who now have "day jobs" and
> continue to work on OSS software.  And the hardware ain't THAT cheap,
> ever price a HD TiVo?  Still, yea, probably a bargin compared to what
> you might have paid.

Jumping in.. I do agree that while one can just plonk down less money
for a preconfigured set-top box like TiVo, it;ll soon be time when one
gets bored of it or that it doesn't solve that itch you have there.

MyTh or any other OSS project began life that way and blossomed from
there on forward. So.. if you can make a Myth system, you already are
ready to convince the "whom must be obeyed" and jump through hoops for
that satisfied feeling.

The TiVo boxes will be for those who considers building their own myth
boxes just too time consuming.