[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 8 01:02:18 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:
> If some free service subsidized by a hardware company is an option,
> I'll be buying that hardware.  Even if it's TiVo/DirecTV subsidized.
> If some OSS project has a primarily donation driven solution, I'll
> support that before I'll support any subscription based service.  And
> if I have to pay someone a subscription, I expect as a consumer that a
> free market dictates I am allowed to "shop" and pick the best
> available service for the $.

I am sure that someone will write a free solution that works for them
however a solution that provides the level of service that TMS is
providing DOES cost someone money and that money has to be recovered. So
please remember that Mythtv is free software and does not come with the
promise of usability. Schedulesdirect is providing a service to make
life easy for us who just want to use the thing and not have to update
the scrapper every 2 weeks because the web site changed to combat the
cost of the scrapers abuse. I have been around long enough to remember
the days of scraping web sites for listing data, good data is worth
something to me.

Bill