[mythtv-users] DVD Truncating (Underworld Evolution)

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Tue Aug 7 08:14:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 22:18:49 -0700, DaveD wrote:

[...]

> As for "back-ups", when my wife gets the three-fer deal at the vid store
> and we don't watch them before time to take them back, I have yet to
> find one that K9Copy 1.1.0 can't "back up" in a nice .ISO package on my
> hard drive for viewing at our leisure.  I have associated the .ISO file

All you have to do is to "authenticate" the DVD in the drive, e.g. by
starting a DVD player (xine, mplayer), or some other tool that fires up
the CSS cracking (e.g. dvdbackup). Then you can use dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=dvd.iso bs=1024k to create an image of the DVD. However, the image
will still be encrypted. Instead of dd, you could also start dvdbackup
and mkisofs afterwards to create a decrypted ISO image.

> extension with a script I wrote to mount the ISO image on the loopback
> and fire up Xine to play it.  I store them in a directory on the desktop
> and she or I can pick movies from a folder and watch them with a few
> clicks.

With the ISO image, you could also use xine dvd://path/to/your/dvd.iso

Regards,
Tino