[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 4 14:37:55 UTC 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007 11:07, GyroTech wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
> > Good luck getting a motherboard with enough slots to fit four tuner cards
> > in it.
>
> I was thinking two dual cards would be fine :-)
>
> > Also be aware that the tuner cards, if you have more than two, will most
> > likely burn more power than your cpu. Consider USB tuners instead, or, if
> > you are in the US, HDHomerun units.
>
> I'm in the UK so HDHomerun is out, and don't USB TV cards, well, suck??
> I just never thought to look into them before...
>
> Thanks,

My backend is a Celeron 850 on an Intel board.  I have 3 Hauppauge Freestyles
(OEM 250s) and a Avermedia QAM card (not yet in everyday use).  I also have
an Intel eepro 100 nic to go along with the onboard nic.

This computer acts as:
Mythtv backend (only SD)
Mysql server (for mythtv)
IMAP email server
NFS file server (for root of diskless frontend, picture storage, etc)
SAMBA server (used only occasionally when I need to backup somebodies files
from a Windows box)
CUPS print server
Firewall/internet Gateway
Internal Web server (seldom used, but always on)
SSH server to allow external access to my network when I'm on the road.

The only performance problems I have seen forced me to nice lirc calls to my
IR blasters so that the button presses don't timeout. This didn't happen
often, but I did miss a few Inuyasha's a few years ago until a figured this
one out.

For backend use, CPU isn't that big a deal.  Spend the money on BIGGER hard
drives.

Mark