[mythtv-users] A fond farewell, for now

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 3 15:35:12 UTC 2007

> On 03/08/07, M.K. Smith <hownowbrowncow at gmail.com> wrote:
[deletia]
>> This is rambling a bit but I absolutely loved my Mythbox and
>> so did my wife, so I can't say we'll be Mythless forever.  I'm
>> losing some serious geek cred here by turning to the dark
>> side, I know, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
[deletia]

> Mr Smith,
>
> Good luck! I know how you feel, for me really MythTV is about the hacking
> and playing rather than the functionality it gives.
> If I just wanted a DVR I could buy one of these DVB-T PVRs you can get in
> the UK for very little money (in some cases much less than I've spent on
> Myth) that just work, get better WAF etc. etc.

     Me, I am more into the absurd amounts of storage space you can
get with something like MythTV or even Tivos. I don't think any of
the other PVRs even have this as an option.

     A PVR becomes pretty much equivalent to Video On Demand once you
can have over 200 hours worth of stuff. This is especially true once
you get up around 1000 or more.

     Anyone getting a Tivo I would direct to Weaknees so they could
just get their Tivo fattened up to begin with. My replacement drive
for my original S1 came from there.

> Perhaps with your experince of a professional DVR/PVR you can continue to
> contribute with suggestions on where Myth falls down in the user
> experience
> front...

     Or, any of us ex-Tivo users can do that for you... '-)

[deletia]

     Interestingly enough, we had to switch back to the DTivo for a couple
of days and despite the simplicity, the return of a mythtv frontend to the
living room was celebrated. PVRs really only start to get truely interesting
once you can have hundreds of hours of recordings on them.

     A beep/click for button presses on the remote would be nice.