[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Jon Boehm jbpub at comcast.net
Mon Apr 30 21:00:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

This actually went much better than I thought it would.  Here are some tips.

* If you used Envy to install the latest nvidia drivers go to the envy
website before you upgrade and see the uninstall instructions. You need to
uninstall envy and the nvidia driver first.

* I had a Edgy server install and used the upgrade instruction on the Ubuntu
web page.  To be safe I thought I would vnc into my box to do the upgrade
because I assumed there was a gui that would need and X display.  This was
incorrect and in hindsight pretty dangerous.  Some where in the middle the
vncserver was upgraded too.  I could have lost my ability to see and
interact with the upgrade.  Moral:  for a server upgrade just ssh in.

* After installing the nvidia drivers, post upgrade, I needed to tell the
kernel to NOT load the nv driver.  The nv driver was superseding the nvidia
driver.  Search the Ubuntu forum on how this is done.  Its really easy I
just don't remember which file it was.

* Need to add 2 lines to one of the php/apache config files to tell it to
load or allow mysql and myth access for myth web.  Again, search the Ubuntu
forum on how this is done.

Over all this was a much easier upgrade than I thought.  I have visions of a
dead box and all sorts of other bad stuff.  It probably took 4 hours to
trouble shoot all of these problems.

I intended to wait until after season finales were over but I have a 965
chipset with the Jmicron IDE controller.  Even though I upgraded the bios,
the IDE DMA was going away almost every day under Edgy.  So far I'm not
having the same problems with Feisty.

So far so good,
Jon

PS. As a policy, only upgrade if something you need is broken or if there is
a new feature you can't live without.