[mythtv-users] How did I get the volume knob to work, with an MCE remote, on Antec Fusion

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:24:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

Just a friendly FYI, in case anyone needs this info.

I just set up a new Myth machine, inside an Antec Fusion case:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738

I first got the VFD to work, following the Wiki page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc

Then I thought it would be nice to also get the big nice-looking
volume knob to work.   After some searching and experimenting, here
are the steps I took for it to work nicely with my MCE remote:

1. Edit udev rules to establish distinguished names for the MCE remote
and iMon remote.  It's sort of random that which device is assigned
lirc0 or lirc1 at boot time.  So we need some symlinks with unique
names to point to the correct devices.  Edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules, and add the following lines (you need to
change the idVendor for your own devices):

KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0471", SYMLINK+="lirc_mce"
KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="15c2", SYMLINK+="lirc_imon"

If you need info on how to write udev rules, or on how to find out
unique SYSFS attributes you can use to write the rules, see here

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

2. Following the thread here

I added these lines into /etc/lircd.conf

begin remote
  name  ClickWheel
  bits           24
  eps            30
  aeps          100

  one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  post_data_bits  8
  post_data      0xFF
  gap          131993
  toggle_bit      0

      begin codes
          WheelCC                  0x010000
          WheelCW                  0x000100
          WheelClick               0x000008
      end codes
end remote

3. Edit /etc/sysconfig/lircd to read as follows:

# Options to lircd
LIRCD_OPTIONS="--driver=default --device=/dev/lirc_mce
--output=/dev/lircd --pidfile=/var/run/lircd.pid
--connect=localhost:8765"
LIRCD1_OPTIONS="--driver=default --device=/dev/lirc_imon
--output=/dev/lircd1 --pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid --listen"

Modify the device names according to whatever symlinks you've chosen
for your devices.

4. Edit /etc/init.d/lircd.  Replace the line

                daemon lircd $LIRCD_OPTIONS

with these two lines

                lircd $LIRCD1_OPTIONS
                lircd $LIRCD_OPTIONS

And add after the line

                killproc lircd

another a line that reads

                killproc lircd1

5. Edit .mythtv/lircrc to add

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = WheelCW
    repeat = 3
    config = ]
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = WheelCC
    repeat = 3
    config = [
end

6. Restart udev, lircd, and mythfrontend to test.

I'm not an expert on writing daemon scripts.  So someone can probably
improve the lircd script.

Hope it helps.

DS