[mythtv-users] XvMC causes Program Guide to crash

Ryan Rustong ryan.rustong at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:31:24 UTC 2007

Thank you, I was hoping it would be something simple.  That fixed my
problem.  I never would have though to try turning that option off, even
though I don't even run myth as root to allow that option to do anything.

Ryan

On 4/30/07, Greg Lucas-Smith <bwobbones at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had this problem and I fixed it by turning off realtime priority
> threads in the Tv Playback settings (sorry can't remember the exact
> location in the menus).  This had no effect on performance and stopped
> the crashing!
>
> Good luck.
>
> Greg
>

> On 4/29/07, Ryan Rustong <ryan.rustong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been trying to get my MythTV box working smoothly for awhile now
> and I
> > think I'm almost there.  I finally got HD and SD to play smoothly, but
> only
> > by using XvMC for the HD.  The problem I have now run into, is that XvMC
> > seems to cause my computer to hang (only a hard reset works) when I
> enter
> > the program guide.  When I first set it up, XvMC didn't seem to work
> well,
> > so I tried all the recommended xvmc tweaks and how-to's, and I think
> what
> > finally got it working properly was to uninstall my nvidia drivers and
> > reinstall using Envy.  Now the video plays smooth and I see about 40%
> CPU
> > usage while watching HD and commercial flagging at the same time.  I
> used
> > the "tweak" to only use XvMC when watching HD, so I can now enter the
> > program guide successfully while watching SD, and change channels as
> long as
> > I don't go to my HD card.  To summarize, it seems any time I either go
> from
> > the Program Guide to live tv on my HD card or from live tv on the HD
> card to
> > the program guide my system completely locks up.  Doing the same while
> using
> > my SD card does not cause any problems.
> >
> > Here's my Setup:
> >
> > Ubuntu 6.10 (i386)
> > MythTV .20
> > ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard (VIA K8T800 chipset)
> > Athlon 64 3400+
> > PVR-150 for SD
> > Kworld ATSC-110 for HD
> > GeForce 5200 using DVI out to LCD TV
> >
> > I'm just as new to linux as I am to MythTV, so I am sure there is more
> > information that would help troubleshoot this, problem is I don't know
> what
> > that info is.  If there are any logs or settings that would be helpful,
> let
> > me know which ones and I'll post them.  I just started seeing sites
> talking
> > about problems with the VIA chipset, but they don't seem to be the same
> > problem as mine.  Hopefully I accurately described my problem and
> someone
> > out there has some insight for me.

"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle."