[mythtv-users] OT: need help on cable TV splitters

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 30 12:53:42 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:

> My understanding is your cableco should be providing enough signal
> strength for at least 3 to four devices without the need for a cable
> amp. Call your cableco and see if this is the case, and if so, buy a
> good quality 3 or 4 way splitter designed for digital cable (wider
> frequency range) and if you still have issues have them send a tech
> out to see why your signal strength is so low, they may end up
> installing a cable amp free of charge.
>
> Also, as someone mentioned, if your not using an output of a splitter
> you should really put a terminator on that output, these can be found
> at radio shack/home depot/etc. for cheap.

Also, be aware that "hybrid splitters" split the signal evenly to each
port, or on some cases down by 3.5db. to some and by 7db. to others.

"Directional couplers" are available that make what might best be called
"uneven splits". If you have one TV set near the cable drop, and want to
feed 2 or 3 more sets that are some distance away, then a DC might make
more efficient use of the available signal. Cable modems, as an example,
generally require less signal than a TV set or capture card, and can
sometimes be fed off a tap leg from a DC, leaving more available signal
for the rest of the system.

Couplers are available with "tap loss" ranging from 8db to over 36 db,
the insertion loss being less for the higher values of tap loss.

Be careful of some of the "technicians" from cable companies. I had one
out at my house who wanted to install a passive attenuator to "boost the
signal". I tried explaining to him that if he actually had an unpowered
device that would truly increase the signal level then he had better get
to the patent office right away, and start thinking about what color his
yacht fleet would be.

Of course he would also have to re-write every physics text on the planet.