[mythtv-users] Error installing 'mythweb'

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Apr 30 11:53:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, April 30, 2007 11:37 am, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm just trying to upgrade MythTV from 0.20 to 0.20.1 on my
> Gentoo-based
> machine (Sabayon, really), and I'm getting this strange error while trying
> to emerge lastest mythweb (the other packages installed ok):

<snip>

> * Fatal error:
> * Fatal error: There is a problem with your configuration file.
> * Fatal error: webapp-config tried to read the variable "config_protect"
> * Fatal error: and received the following error:
> * Fatal error:
> * Fatal error: Bad value substitution:
> * Fatal error:  section: [USER]
> * Fatal error:  option : config_protect
> * Fatal error:  key    : nxdir
> * Fatal error:  rawval : /etc ${NXDIR}/home /etc /usr/kde/3.5/env
> /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/
> /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config
> * Fatal error:
> * Fatal error: Please note that webapp-config is not written in bash
> anymore
> * Fatal error: and that you cannot use the bash scripting features.
> * Fatal error(s) - aborting

I'm no expert (but I am a Gentoo user) - reading this message, it looks
like it doesn't like the value of "config-protect", which is something to
do with which directories contain config files (eg /etc) and should be
updated via rc-update.  The message says you can no longer "use bash
features", and your "rawval" contains "${NXDIR}/home".  As a total stab in
the dark, I'd say this is the problem - bash would expand ${NXDIR} to a
real path, maybe the new webapp-config can't do this.

Do you know where ${NXDIR} has come from?  Does it sound like any package
you have installed might have added it?  Maybe try remove this package (or
upgrade it) and try mythweb again.

For reference 'emerge --info' on my gentoo mythbox reports:

CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config
/usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config
/var/qmail/alias /var/qmail/control"

Which doesn't contain ${NXDIR} - so it must be something you installed.
I've no idea how this is set, but it might be somewhere to start.  (or it
might be a wild goose chase!

Otherwise you get a more useful answer asking on a Gentoo list, as I think
this looks like more of a Gentoo problem than a MythTV problem to me....

Robert.