[mythtv-users] HDTV Recording (Dealing with 5C)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 30 01:44:48 UTC 2007

Matt Jordan wrote:
> Currently I have a single system MythTV box (SD only/PVR-150) and it
> works spectacularly well.  It is completely reliable in terms of
> recording, channel changing and everything and has been for more than
> a year.
>
> I have started to build a much more powerful separate BE and FE system
> for HDTV but after reading comments on the list and going through the
> Wiki I am a bit dismayed with some of the problems with HDTV.
> Originally I had planned to go with FireWire but I have huge concerns
> about 5C encrypted broadcasts and the inability to record them.  Most
> of the shows I watch are on "extended cable" (Discovery, Comedy
> Central, etc) and it is rare that I watch the big networks such as
> NBC, CBS, FOX.  Is there a viable and reliable option for recording
> HDTV for the higher channels as to avoid the 5C trap?  It seems like
> there is a serious caveat no matter what choice I make.  I wish it
> were as simple as SD. :(

Don't we all.

Unless your cable company transmits the HD signal you want as
unencrypted QAM getting it into a Myth system can be problematical.

The firewire system is one of the few methods that work, but you;ve
already seen the potential problems with that.

There are other options, some of which involve running a Windows system
to do some of the work, and others involve illegally "jeeped" STBs or
satellite receivers.

Some Linux/Unix solution that involves the use of cablecards might be a
solution, if it ever happens. The cable/sat operators, as well as the
Hollywood types, still consider Linux users as a "bunch of pirates", and
quite frankly the discussions here of illegal activity (illegal at least
in the US) is not helping that perception.

What we really need is an encoder that can take component HD input and
output MPEG, but such devices are still a little out of the financial
reach of most Myth users.

My guess is it won't be "too" long, but the Hollywood types are fighting
it every step of the way.