[mythtv-users] Radeon 9550 and PAL TV

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.org.uk
Sun Apr 29 21:22:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:41:15PM +0200, Bert Van Kets wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am setting up Myth on Fedora Core 6 using Jarod's guide. Myth is
> version 0.20 and FC is updated to 2.6.20-2944.
> Hardware is
> P4 2.7GHz
> 1GB RAM
> ATI Radeon 9550 256MB
> PVR-150
> SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro
> MCE type 2 remote
>
> Audio is perfect.
> I can capture from the PVR-150 out of Myth, so my hardware (apart from
> the video card) is set up fine.
>
> My problem is I get a black screen when trying live TV and that DVD or
> video playback is showing only the top half of the movie spread over the
> screen.

I've been suffering the same problem for a while. For me, the cause is a
bug in the fglrx drivers - the xv extension scales the top half of the
picture to full screen height :-( This bug was introduced in an earlier
version - might be fixed in later versions, but later versions DO NOT
support my card!!! (grrrrrrr....)

Unfortunately, the fglrx drivers are closed-source, which prevents
anybody from ATI from fixing anything in them.  So I usually recommend
people to buy "anything but ATI".

My workaround (so far) has been to disable the xvideo extension. This
causes mythtv to fall back to x11 rendering (under duress according to
the stderr output) - which is somewhat taxing on the system and causes
the occasional stutter. But it's better than no mythtv at all.

> I tried tons of things and can not get GLX running, so OpenGL is not
> working either.

I got it working, but some GL apps cause hard locks of the system.
Again, I blame the fglrx drivers :-(

> Does anybody have a good xorg.conf file for the Radeon 9550 with support
> for a PAL TV?

My card is a Radeon 9200 SE (a.k.a. RV280?), and with the fglrx drivers
this works for me (with the nasty workaround mentioned above):

    Section "Device"
        Identifier      "closed-source ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]"
        Driver          "fglrx"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "DesktopSetup"  "single"
        Option          "TVOutput" "PAL"
        Option          "TVStandard" "SCART"
        Option          "MonitorLayout" "None,CRT"
        Option          "TVFormat"      "PAL-I"
        Option          "NoTV"  "no"
#       Option          "VideoOverlay" "true"
        Option          "PBuffer"       "0"
        Option          "OpenGLOverlay" "true"
    EndSection

Note that "VideoOverlay" is commented out in order to work around the xv
bug :-(

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen