[mythtv-users] Bunch of MythArchive questions / problems

DM - MythTV mythtv at tazman.net
Sun Apr 29 20:01:12 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>
>>> As my standalone DVD player does not read RW blanks, I would prefer to
>>> fix as many of these things as possible before cutting a new +R blank.
>>> (At about $1/each, it's not the end of the world, but they could add up
>>> fast.)  Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> $1 each? Are you in canada? Or are you talking about dual layer disks?
>>  I buy 100 packs of quality DVD+R disks for around $33 US.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507003

Well, last I bought was a 25 pack and it was like $19.99...  I haven't
done a whole lot of DVD burning (and don't plan to do tons once it get a
couple of seasons archived), so wasn't really interested in having a lot
around.  At $30/100 it's a little better tho, so I may just pick up a
100 pack next time I see them around that price.

More of the point of the post was to see if someone had some assistance
with the problems than to discuss the merits and / or pricing of wasted
disks   ;)  Thanks for the tip tho, I'll keep it in mind next time I
need new ones.
> Compatibility is always an issue. I have 4 or 5 people that I burn disks
> for and I have to keep track of whose player will handle what type of
> disk, and which players seem to be sensitive to the burn speed.
>
> As I said, an art more than a science
Do my symptoms (particularly the problems with the fade in / out I would
imagine) sound like a disc compatibility issue or a mastering issue?  I
was guessing mastering, but don't really have a way to test without
bringing in a new brand of disk...  The one I am having trouble with now
was an Imation DVD+R 8x single layer disk.  My work stock is Imation
DVD-R, so I could trade one or two from there to try those if someone
thinks it would be worth it.  As to burn speed I burn at 8x; would
dropping to 4x be helpful on an 8x disk?  Also, I don't have a DVD
writer in the Myth box directly; everything is mastered to ISO and then
burned off a Windows machine with Nero.

Thanks!

Dan