[mythtv-users] Bunch of MythArchive questions / problems

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 29 16:10:06 UTC 2007

DM - MythTV wrote:

> As my standalone DVD player does not read RW blanks, I would prefer to
> fix as many of these things as possible before cutting a new +R blank.
> (At about $1/each, it's not the end of the world, but they could add up
> fast.)  Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where on earth are you buying blank -R or +R disks that they are costing
$1.00 each? I can buy dual-layer blank disks for that price.

I'm assuming from your reference to "$1" that you are in the USA. Look
for the sales at the Office Supply stores like Office Depot or Office
Max. Also check the online sites like the geeks.

Of course if you purchase them in small quantities the price might get
close to what you mention, but if you buy 50 or 100 at a time the cost
should be well under that. I've picked up 100 packs for around $15 on
sale, you just have to keep your eyes open.

Usually buying 8x  disks is a little cheaper than 16x ones. I've found
that you get better compatibility with standalone players if you burn at
8x anyway.

Creating compatible disks is at least as much art as science today. The
older the standalone player the more problems you are likely to
encounter. Some more recent players state on the box that they will
handle -R and +R disks, but a lot of the ones that do not so state do a
fine job as well.