[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Myth2iPod Transcode Succeeds but Won't Sync

Jon jon at sd-6.org
Sat Apr 28 22:12:19 UTC 2007

Douglas Wagner wrote:

>     Myth2Ipod Script Variables:
>     # User variables
>             my $portable = "ipod";
>             my $feedfile = "/video/ipodfeed/feed.php";
>             my $feedpath = "/video/ipodfeed/";
>             my $wwwloc = "/var/www/html/";
>             my $feedurl = "http://ghost/ipodfeed/";
>             my $nuvoptions ="--mode=iPod --nice=19 --cutlist --nodenoise
>     --nodeinterlace --nomultipass";
>
>     Putting a --debug into the $nuvoptions line above I get the
>     following when I run (for nuvexport options)
>     Starting nuvexport...
>     /usr/local/bin/nuvexport --chanid=1021 --start=20070312200000
>     --debug --mode=iPod --nice=19 --cutlist --nodenoise --nodeinterlace
>     --nomultipass --filename=1021_20070312200000.temp
>     --path=/video/ipodfeed/
>
>     In iTunes when I go to the podcast, right click, and do a "get info"
>     the following is showing:
>     Kind: MPEG-4 Video file
>     Profile: Low Compatibility
>     Size: 182 MB
>     Channels: Stereo
>     Bit Rate: 64 kbps
>     Purchase Date: 1/1/1970 12:00am
>     Sample Rate: 48,000 kHz
>     Total Bit Rate: 0 kbps
>     Date Modified: 4/28/2007 2:45 PM
>     Play Count: 0
>     Last Played: Not Available.
>
>     (Note: The file info here is not the file I ran the info on above in
>     case the Date modified looks wrong).
>
>     I can't figure out what would be causing this not to transfer to the
>     iPod: maybe the "0" bit rate is causing iTunes to say it's not
>     good?  There's got to be SOME settings I can throw into myth2ipod's
>     script to allow it to properly transcode the file to be correctly
>     recognized and play on the iPod.

To use iTunes to transfer h264 videos to your iPod, you need to have a
specific tag in the file. AtomicParsley(svn) can add it with the
following command.
AtomicParsley <file> --DeepScan --iPod-uuid 1200 --overWrite

>     HELP!!!! I have 2 weeks to get this figured out or i'm stuck in a
>     car for 15 hours with a 5 yo and an 3 yo who have VERY limited
>     entertainment...
>     At this point, i'm willing to get either myth2ipod to work or make
>     ANY OTHER SOLUTION work to get files to the iPod.  Transcoding takes
>     time and I have a limited amount between now and the trip...and I
>     still have yet to test my car's dvd player to ensure it can play
>     what i'm pushing to it from the iPod.

If you don't want to re-encode, use AtomicParsley.  Alternatively you
can have myth2ipod encode with xvid instead.  IMHO, the time it takes to
 encode the h264 vs. xvid, is not worth the small gain in quality or
smaller filesize, unless you are outputting it to a TV.