[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Myth2iPod Transcode Succeeds but Won't Sync

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:46:59 UTC 2007

All:

     Ok, so I really don't know what i'm doing here I guess.  Just got a 30g
iPod about a week ago.  I'm trying to get some of the MythTV Kids shows i've
got onto the iPod for a trip to denver we're taking in about 2
weeks...limited Timeframe.

So, I got myth2ipod from the site, downloaded everything and set it all up.
At the end of which I can transcode a show in the library, it gets put into
the right place on disk, feed.php picks it up and iTunes even shows the
podcast and will keep it up to date.  AWESOME!

So next I subscribe to the podcast for the myth shows and go to sync...at
which point I get: "Some of the videos from your iTunes library, including
the video <video here>, were not copied to the iPod <iPod Name> because they
cannot be played on this iPod."

Huh?  I can watch the shows through iTunes itself so I know the transcode
worked to a valid file.  On disk it is shown as an mp4 file.  If I then go
to the podcast file in iTunes, right click and select "Convert selection for
iPod" the conversion happens, the show goes into the "videos" section and
WILL sync, however no video shows up, I get ONLY audio in iTunes when I play
it and NOTHING but a black screen (not even audio) when I try to play it on
the iPod.

Working off of iTunes 7 (most up to date), and a recent version of the iPod
(Software Version 1.2.1 according to about iPod).

I understand that there's a specific format and parameters that these files
need to be in for the iPod to show them.  And i'm guessing that the reason
iTunes refuses to push them to the iPod is because they're out of spec.
However, I am stuck here.  So, i'll start posting some info on my spec:

ffmpeg -version:
FFmpeg version SVN-r6524, Copyright (c) 2000-2006 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration:  --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-mp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-vorbis
--enable-faadbin --enable-faac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-a52
--enable-a52bin --enable-dts --enable-pp --enable-shared --enable-pthreads
--enable-dc1394 --enable-gpl --disable-strip --extra-cflags=-O2 -g -pipe
-Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables
  libavutil version: 49.0.1
  libavcodec version: 51.16.0
  libavformat version: 50.5.0
  built on Oct 27 2006 08:36:51, gcc: 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)
ffmpeg      SVN-r6524
libavutil   3211265
libavcodec  3346432
libavformat 3278080

Myth2Ipod Script Variables:
# User variables
        my $portable = "ipod";
        my $feedfile = "/video/ipodfeed/feed.php";
        my $feedpath = "/video/ipodfeed/";
        my $wwwloc = "/var/www/html/";
        my $feedurl = "http://ghost/ipodfeed/";
        my $nuvoptions ="--mode=iPod --nice=19 --cutlist --nodenoise
--nodeinterlace --nomultipass";

Putting a --debug into the $nuvoptions line above I get the following when I
run (for nuvexport options)
Starting nuvexport...
/usr/local/bin/nuvexport --chanid=1021 --start=20070312200000 --debug
--mode=iPod --nice=19 --cutlist --nodenoise --nodeinterlace --nomultipass
--filename=1021_20070312200000.temp --path=/video/ipodfeed/

In iTunes when I go to the podcast, right click, and do a "get info" the
following is showing:
Kind: MPEG-4 Video file
Profile: Low Compatibility
Size: 182 MB