[mythtv-users] OT: need help on cable TV splitters

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 28 20:14:29 UTC 2007

Marc Barrett wrote:
> I need to split my cable TV's signal several times, with as little degradation as possible.  So I am looking for advice on what splitters to use.
>
> I currently have both digital TV and high-speed internet service from my cable company.  I am presently using a high-quality 2-way splitter to split the signal between my digital cable box and my cable modem.  I would like to split the signal once more, to my MythTV box.  I have a 4-way splitter, but I guess it is not of sufficient quality because when I use it, both my internet and digital cable services suffer (my internet service gets more dropouts, and I have problems with certain channels on the digital cable and with the 'on demand' programming service).

For best performance your splitting should be a 2 step process. Keep the
cable modem on one output of the existing 2 way splitter. That will keep
your internet working well. The other output should go to a decent
quality splitter with just enough outputs to provide all you needs. The
more outputs the less signal each gets. Since you are thinking about a
qam card, leave yourself an extra output for now.
> I've been looking at better splitters, on eBay and such.  I have found some called 'DC pass' 5-2400Mhz splitters.  I don't quite know what the 'DC pass' part means.  I've also found splitters advertised as being for digital cable services that are 5-1000Mhz.  Do I need the wider frequency range of the former one?

The standard range for a splitter is 5-950MHz. That is more than enough
for your cable needs. The dc pass models are for satellite systems where
power is run up the coax.