[mythtv-users] Firewire on digital cable box - what to ask for?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:34:23 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Dan Brown <dan at familybrown.org> wrote:
> My PVR-500 works just fine with my analog cable channels, but I'd like
> to be able to record the digital material as well.  Currently, though,
> my Pioneer digital cable box doesn't have a firewire port on it.  So,
> last night, I called my cable provider (Time Warner in Dayton, OH) and
> asked to exchange it for a box that does.  The person I spoke with
> seemed friendly and willing to help, but didn't have any clue of what
> I was asking for.  Is there something specific I should mention or
> request to help this go through more smoothly?
>
> --
> Dan Brown, KE6MKS, dan at familybrown.org
> "Since all the world is but a story, it were well for thee to buy the
> more enduring story rather than the story that is less enduring."
>   -- The Judgment of St. Colum Cille

My guess, since you're saying Time Warner, is that you'll need to ask
for the SA3250 (also called an SA3250HD) set top box.  Also, the ports
are labeled "IEEE 1394" and no where is the word "firewire" used on
the box or in the status menu/documentation.

But... just a warning... I have Time Warner and I can't get the
firewire to work correctly.  from avsforums (and google), it looks
like a ton of people across the US who have TWC also report that TWC
rarely has a working firewire port.  Not saying it's impossible, but
it's improbable that it'll work in your area too.  Doesn't hurt to at
least get the STB and try.

Also, here's something they might be able to reference as a last
resort even though it isn't your market...
http://www.timewarnercable.com/NC/products/cable/firewire.html

And... a quick google search brought up this (in your market) - scroll
to the bottom:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/midohio/products/hdtv.html

and one last link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS220&q=+site%3Awww.timewarnercable.com+time+warner+cable+1394&btnG=Search

Good luck - I'd be interested to know how it works out for you!

Thanks!
Matt