[mythtv-users] setpci question

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 20:13:23 UTC 2007

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 10:00 -0400, Brian Walter wrote:
>

>>>     00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller
>>>     (rev a2)
>>>

>> When I do recordings, I occasionally get dropped data from the encoder
>> (application not reading fast enough), plus, based on other research
>> related to IVTV DMA issues, having the disks at a lower latency than the
>> PVR cards has lead to issues for other users.
>>

> I had a similar problem with a couple of bt878-based capture cards and
> the CK804 SATA controller (ASUS A8N-E).  When there was a lot of disk
> activity like recording multiple shows at once and running xvid, there
> would be dropouts in the recordings.  Very annoying.
>
> For the record I tried playing with the PCI latency values using setpci
> as well, but like you the values never changed.  The solution was to
> replace the capture cards with cx2388x-based ones and I've never had any
> problems since.
>
> I think if you want decent, low latency disk access you need to go with
> a motherboard that has a dedicated disk controller chip, not an
> integrated solution like the nVidia chipsets.
>

> Tim.

Tim,

Thanks.  It's nice to at least know I'm not the only that sees or has
seen the issue.

There's several points of contention - one of which is the known
problems in the current IVTV driver.  Since the developer seems to be in
the midst of big move, and is not planning on being available for
awhile, I was gonna try some of these kinda things to see if I could
alleviate the issue till then.

Regards,
Brian