[mythtv-users] Monit and SVN

Matt Rude mythtv at mattrude.com
Fri Apr 27 18:06:53 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> Is there anyone using Monit to automatically restart Mythbackend that
> could shed some light on setting it up and getting it going correctly?
>
> Since it uses the PID of mythbackend for monitoring I was curious what
> the 'start' and 'stop' commands should look like when using SVN.
> Since SVN doesn't automatically issue a PID I had to start mythbackend
> with --pidfile filename.
>
> Thanks.
>
> AJM,

I'm using monit and it work quite well.

To use monit with myth I edited the mythbackend init script on my fedora
6 system located at /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend and changed it to

daemon --user ${MBE_USER} ${MBE_LOCATION}${MBE_PROG} \
                          -d -l ${MBE_LOGFILE} ${MBE_OPTIONS} \
                          -p /var/run/mythbackend.pid

The only problem with Monit is if you recompile Mythbackend and replace
your /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend file then Monit will restart the
Mythbackend ever minute.

-Matt