[mythtv-users] Problem with USB Serial port Adapters

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Apr 27 17:24:50 UTC 2007

Kevin Plew wrote:
> I'm having a small problem with my USB serial port adapters that send
> commands to my Directv receivers. On reboot they may not keep the same
> /dev name i.e. ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1.
>
> My question is- is there a way to force them to keep the same name on
> each reboot?
> I've looked at udev, but udevinfo doesn't seem to work on serial
> adapters. I'm sure I'm missing something- a little nudge in the right
> direction.

Well, that's kind of an annoyance, isn't it?  I had that same fear when
I started using the USB->Serial Port adapters, but it never (knock on
wood) manifested itself (aka: I haven't had that problem yet).

For Redhat-based systems (Fedora Core & etc), check out
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/.  The page is a
bit old, but it is still pretty accurate.

-Rich