[mythtv-users] nuvexportrc default changes

Christopher Friend christopher_friend at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:30:15 UTC 2007

Hey, I just updated my old nuvexport install and found a few new interesting
changes in the default nuvexportrc file, wondered if someone (*cough*xris)
could explain the changes as I'm in two minds whether to change em back
because I'm sure much more educated thought has been put into the changes
than any reasoning I could come up with...

crop_pct has changed from 2 to 1.5. I would assume someone's noticed too
much actual footage being chopped off by the 2 value, always seemed ok to me
though...

Xvid's v_bitrate changed from 960 to 768 . I'm thinking this may have
something to do with the next bit...

Xvid's default width is now 512 instead of 624. Looks like someone decided
to make Xvid files more the realm of very portable media, small resolution
to play on pmp's or the web, with a small file size to reflect the small res
and give the thing a much smaller file size. Either that or there's a good
reason for using 512 (ie. wider compatibility).

When I first started using the thing I think I read comments by the
nuvexport author as to why 960 was used (a good trade off between file size
and quality) so it kinda seems strange as to why it's been changed to 768
(which looks terrible imo). And 624 seemed a perfect resolution too, most
media players I've come accross (portable or not) work fine with 640 or
under, so why make it even smaller?

And one more thing... how do I get new versions of nuvexport now it's been
added to mythtv's svn? (after xris stops handing out tar.gz's, obviously).

Thanks

Christopher

The Crimea / The Crocketts
http://www.inaudible.co.uk