[mythtv-users] NVP: Timed out waiting for free video buffers

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Apr 27 04:12:58 UTC 2007

    > Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:29:10 -0400
    > From: Dan <skyhigh at rldb.net>

    > I just started getting this error for some reason.  My system has been
    > unchanged and working fine for maybe a little less than a year.  All of
    > a sudden it started freezing on playback with this error.  X ends up
    > taking 100% of the CPU.  I also read that page and followed the
    > suggestions and it didn't fix anything.  I didn't really expect it to
    > since its been working fine for months.  Could my nvidia card be worn
    > out?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

-If- you have truly changed nothing, I'd start by (a) cleaning all the
vents, filters, fanblades, and anything else that moves air and (b)
looking for a heatsink that fell off something.  Perhaps (c) swap in
a new power supply.  If none of those work, how about environmental
issues?  Is it a lot hotter -outside- the case now?  Voltage sags
from new loads nearby causing a marginal power supply to misbehave?

(Basically, I'm thinking "things that can cause flaky behavior due to
heat or out-of-tolerance voltages which tend to change over time".)