[mythtv-users] Simulate turning on and off within MythTV

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Apr 27 03:24:52 UTC 2007

MythTV Users,

I've got a machine that is dedicated entirely to MythTV. It is connected
by NFS network so that other computers can access the music and video
files on it. It runs cron jobs to do tasks like fill the MythTV database.

In other words, it's always on. Also, it needs to be on in order to be
ready to receive IR commands anyway.

What I'd like to be able to do, is with the click of the "Power" button
on my Hauppauge PVR-150 silver remote, have the screen shut off and the
sound muted, so that the effect is like turning off a regular TV. And,
ideally, have the same button to toggle the screen and sound back on.

Now that I'm writing this down, I realize that maybe what I want is for
the power button to return to the mythfrontend top screen, so that
running videos are stopped, and the start screen is up when turned back on.

 From the instructions I've looked at on the net, it's a simple matter
to make it so MythTV automatically starts up when the machine is booted.
And I see there is an automatic shut down/wake up function for when the
machine is left idle.

But I can't find instructions on how to simulate turning the MythTV
system off and on (leaving the computer on) via remote.

I'm using a flatscreen computer monitor for my screen, which plugs into
the video card on the back of my computer with a standard analog
computer monitor connection (will hopefully upgrade to digital
connection in the future).

The Audio goes out through a USB Audio device. It's working fine, and
responds to all mute and volume controls within MythTV.

What would you recommend as the best approach to achieving this kind of
function?

Thank you for your time and help.

--
Dave M G