[mythtv-users] Master backend always up, slaves sleep/wake

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 03:21:45 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:03:17PM -0500, Jon wrote:
> >

> > Brad Templeton wrote:
> > > So I'm interested in people's tales of how hard it was to get these things
> > > working:
> > >         The tv402u or the wintv-pvr-usb
> > >         Suspend/hibernate with nvidia card
> >
> >  Add
> > Option "NvAGP" "1"
> > to your xorg.conf, S3 works great.  ~2 secs. to ready state.  This may
> > only work with recent drivers.
> >

> BTW, on another note, the docs seem to imply the typical situation with
> sleeping and wakeup is for all the servers to go to sleep if the system is
> idle, and all to wakeup if there is recording to do.
>
> What if the desire is that the master backend is an always on server, and
> you want it to wake the slaves when they have recording to do, then have
> them shut down when they are idle.   (Ideally in a situation with multiple
> slaves only waking the slave that's needed, though for now that's not a big
> issue for me as I am using only 1 slave backend and 1 master)  And of course
> waking a slave if a frontend wants to talk to it.
>
> Is this a workable configuration?  It seems I might be able to kludge it by
> having the shutdown script on the master do nothing while having the one on
> the slave shut the system down, though the master might keep thinking it's idle.
>
> This is for a situation where you do expect to have a server that's up all
> the time (doing other stuff like email/dns/mysql/etc.) but don't need that for
> slaves.

Wouldn't using the shutdown/wakeup and a WOL (configured with MACs)
work with this?  Have each slave configured to turn on another
(further down the line) and have the Master only wake the first slave.
 Seems like I'm missing the obvious here...

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com